Saturday, March 22, 2008

There are some mornings when the sky looks like a road.

I was born in Houston. I've lived in the same house for eighteen out of nineteen years of my life. I've remained something of a Houston apologist long after many of my friends have virtually disowned the place. However, I've grown increasingly disillusioned with it during my last few visits for various reasons, many of which are personal and admittedly far beyond its control (and others which fuck with my allergies and make me cough like I'm a-dyin'). It's beginning to feel like that friend who never quite delivers, and so the drift ensues. Yeah, this is definitely partially hormonal-induced, and then there's also the distinct realization that there's just not much here for me anymore. Ah, well. Keep on keepin' on, I suppose.

I talked to my friend Norm today, which was beyond pleasant, as I've been running around like crazy this semester and haven't felt like I've carried on a half-decent AIM conversation with him in ages. As he is basically male FUTURE CAROLINE (almost creepy but totally endearing), and also because he gave me the best piece of life advice I've ever heard a couple of years ago, I'm obligated to love him forever. I'm a tad creeped out that I feel closer to an online friend than I do to most people I tangibly interact with every day, and it kind of makes me wonder how many other BIZARRO CAROLINES there are out there, lurking in the murky corners of the internet.

"If you have not as yet replied to my letter, please go on refraining. It is possible that I was mistaken and I do not willfully invite any disillusions at this point in my life. I am willing to stay in the dark."

And oh god it's pi am on easter morning and in spite of my exponentially increasing dislike of Houston, I still don't particularly want to go back to Denton. Hmm.

No comments: